THE BARN

CLOSED
PHONE: (916)390-0511

Sunday, July 22, 2012

My First Canvas

Happy Sunday.
I wanted do a little post this morning and show you my first canvas (as an adult). Let me explain. Growing up I spent a lot weekends at my Nanny's house. She would always take me to Kmart and tell me I could have 1 thing. It was so hard to just pick that 1 thing. I started with a "How to draw dogs" book. Then Charcoal pencils, paint brushes, pastels, more books and my stash was created. Nanny is gone now but I have so many wonderful memories about my grandparents.
Back to the present..... My Monday nights consist of dinner early and a "I have my class" to my family. I settle in and head to Ustream to spend a couple of hours with Tracy Weinzapfel. Please join us if you can, Its really fun and she is too crazy! Sooooo. She has her July Creative Dare and I'm posting mine today. My word was "Mother" but I changed it to be about ME (Although I am a Mother too.) and chose "Create".
Kinda of a grungy, graffiti style.

My supplies were Americana acrylic paint, gesso, Prima flowers, Want2Scrap bling, chipboard letters, charcoal pencil (Tracy would be proud), white jeans pocket. :) And....
The Crafter's Workshop mini bricks template. I LOVE their templates.

Everyone who knows me knows I won't wear white pants. It's just me. They would look just like this pocket (filthy) in about 10 minutes.

I laid the template down and slathered on a thick coating of gesso. It dried and began to crack so it turned out to be perfect bricks. I just charcoaled the cracks. It was a surprise to me.

I'll be creating more of these and I must thank Tracy for her inspiration. Please join us on Monday nights!


7 comments:

Laurel's Quill said...

Kim, this is very cute. You have great composition and I love the whole idea!

Laurel's Quill said...

Also, the Monday night thing - is that a "Skype kinda thing where you have to have some sort of camera???

Kim said...

Hi Laurel:
No you don't need a camera at all. It's Tracy creating and using different mediums. You can sign in and chat or just listen. It's a really fun (sometimes rowdy) group. Ustream is a bit of a pain so don't be surprised if you get booted out once in while and I just do the free membership. Please join us.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tracy-weinzapfel

Tanya said...

I love this Kim!! You are on a roll my friend!! See ya Monday night!!

hugs,
Tanya

SandeeNC said...

Great job on the canvas, with that brick template, it does make it look like graffiti on the wall, I love it! See you Monday night! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

scrappymo! said...

Ohhh, I love the brink textured wall.

Very nice job!

Barbie said...

this is so fun, love it!